Topic: spring hiking tour 2011
when: Saturday 11 June
where：Ruin Aulta – Switzerland’s “Grand Canyon”
06:20 meeting point Zurich HB (please organize the train tickets yourselves)
06:37 train departs from Zurich HB, destination Chur
07:52 get off the train at Chur – move quickly to track 11
07:56 train departs towards Ilanz - Disentis
08:16 get off the train at Versam-Safien
Suggested schedule for return to Zurich:
16:24 bus departs from Flims Waldhaus Caumasee to Chur (arrival 16:57)
17:09 train departs from Chur to Zurich HB (arrival 18:23)
Character of the tour:
“Ruin Aulta” is the romanic name of the upper Rhine gorge between Ilanz and Reichenau in the canton Graubünden. It is a wild gorge formed by erosion of a pre-historic huge rock-fall site, and is also labeled “Grand Canyon of Switzerland”. Apart from the picturesque track of the Rhätische Bahn, no motorized traffic is running through this gorge. After getting off the train at the small station of Versam-Safien, we take some time shooting pictures of the meandering river, the bizarre valley sides, and possibly the pretty trains passing by. Slowly moving downstream, we cross the river on a railway bridge and start climbing up the left-hand side of the gorge on a good path. Here, 500 meters of altitude difference have to be climbed up, but we don’t need to hurry. From the newly-built viewing platform at Conn we get a spectacular bird’s-eye view of the Ruin Aulta. Walking through pleasant forest, we go past the azure-blue Cauma lake and finally reach the mountain resort Flims Waldhaus. Here, you may stroll around individually or have a late lunch.
Zurich - Versam 22.50 CHF with Halbtax-card / 45.00 CHF without Halbtax
Flims Waldhaus - Zurich: 25.60 CHF with Halbtax-card / 51.20 CHF without Halbtax
(At railway ticket offices, you may get round-trip tickets Zurich – Versam and Flims Waldhaus – Zurich.)
Contact persons on activity day：Zhang Hongxia（079 766 9176），Gong Guanghai (076 412 0323)
Please be aware:
1. This activity is not convenient for small children, as there is a long way to walk. Thanks for understanding.
2. Depending on the weather and temperature forecast, please take warm clothes with you and protect yourselves from the sun (hat, sun cream) or eventual rain (jacket).
3. Bring hiking boots or very solid running shoes.
4. The only restaurants on the tour are at the starting and end points of the trail. Therefore, please bring some food and enough water with you to eat / drink underway.
5. There are no special requirements about photography equipments. Everybody is very welcome.
6. Should the weather conditions be unfavorable on 11 June, we consider postponing the event to Whit Monday 13 June.
All participants take part in activities at their own risk and are free to decide on the assurance issue. Organizers and the photography club of CUZ will not be liable for any damage of property or personal injury.
For more information: http://www.wandersite.ch/Tageswanderung/523_Graubuenden.html